Search Forum topics of discussion in The SK Improvisation Studio Below:

• Thomas

March 11, 2024 at 2:09 am

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the extremely helpful feedback. The backing track is one of many available from the incredibly talented organist Phil Wilkinson and available on his site here (hoping it’s ok to post a link, if not I will remove it right away) Phil is currently recovering from a really bad accident with his left hand and could use any support he can get. His backing tracks are the most swinging you can find I think. 🙂 https://www.playjazztracks.com/

You were exactly correct in your comment, I was trying to connect the changes in this chorus of SBS and trying to play extended phrases as I feel I often play shorter phrases. I’ll try to practice playing in a more thoughtful/structured manner. Your suggestion to play diatonically in the first chorus and then more extended harmony later on sounds like a good roadmap as well as concentrating on playing more motivically throughout. I’ll work on those ideas this week and try to post back to see if I am able to incorporate those idea. Thanks again Steve for the help and encouragement, greatly appreciated.

Tom